Keeping your air conditioning system running efficiently throughout the summer months is no easy task. Things break, dirt accumulates, and your home comfort suffers. In order to stay cool and comfortable all season long, HVAC maintenance is necessary. Not only will regular maintenance keep your system running efficiently, but it will also keep your bills low and your IAQ clean.
Some HVAC maintenance can be completed as a simple DIY project, while other tasks are best left to the professionals. The tasks you complete, alongside your HVAC specialist’s work, will help contribute to an efficient and effective HVAC system. Here’s a quick look at some of the DIY maintenance you can do on your own.
DIY Maintenance Tasks
Keeping your air conditioning system running smoothly is in your hands. Well, partially. Here are some of the tasks you can do yourself to maintain your HVAC system.
- Change the air filters — Your air filters need to be checked regularly, as they constantly accumulate dust, dirt, and other debris. If you don’t change or clean your air filters every few months, they could be circulating that dust and dirt back into the air in your home. Keep your IAQ at top quality by cleaning or replacing your air filters about every three months. If you have pets or severe allergies, they may need to be checked even more often.
- Keep it clean — In the summer, it’s vital to keep the outdoor unit clean and free of any debris, including vegetation, leaves, grass clippings, etc. Keep objects and plants about two feet from the edges to prevent any mishaps. You can clean the dust off the condenser with a vacuum and brush attachment.
- Seal up leaks — That freshly cooled air indoors could be escaping from leaks or cracks around your home. Search for any places where air may be leaving your home, and seal them by weatherstripping or caulking.
Professional Maintenance Tasks
Performing HVAC maintenance on your own can be rewarding and rejuvenating. However, there are some things you should just leave to the pros.
- Tune ups — Once a year, have a professional come out and evaluate your HVAC system to ensure everything is working properly. They will inspect all electrical connections, check and refill refrigerant, clean and adjust parts, and repair any potential problems that exist.
- Clean and inspect ductwork — Dust and debris can build up in your ducts and impede airflow, or circulate dirty air throughout your home. A skilled technician can inspect your ductwork, evaluate insulation requirements for your system, clean out any dust and debris, and make any recommendations for improvements.
Not only do professional HVAC technicians have the proper tools and skills to perform the complex maintenance tasks, but they also have the training and experience to spot any potential problems before they cause further damage.
Regular HVAC maintenance is a must to ensure your equipment is in top working order and your home is at its peak comfort level. If you need HVAC maintenance, contact the pros at Comfort Tech for top-notch skills and service. You can feel confident putting your comfort in our hands; call today!